Friday, November 25, 2011

Al'olio

Hey guys! ^^

It's school holiday and of course it's my holiday too!!! lol~

I've been watching some episodes of the Korean drama 'Pasta' while giggling, blushing, etc well... practically all the stuff that girls did when they watched drama.


It's a cute story I'd say. and for the records, I'm not actually into K-drama. I'm more into Taiwanese drama. No offense but I think Taiwan made a better romance-comedy dramas.
and for the 'comedy' part itself, I think none can beat Japan though. lol~

and truthfully, I don't really understand Malay's comedy. I don't want to name any show/drama/movie but I think some of them are just plain stupid.  or maybe is it because I'm just too stupid that I don't get it no matter how many times I watch it?

Hmm... That could be the reason. o.0

Whatever.

Well, generally, I don't really like dramas coz they're just a bunch of actors and actresses acting in front of the camera.
Why'd waste time watching 'em if there are too many dramas going on around me. Geez~

For this one thing, believe me, just look around. You can really buy popcorn and watch the people around you.

One-sided love, love triangle or 4-angle maybe, unrequited love, unconditional, full with condition, heartbreak, tears, anger, smile, joy, laughter... name it. all because of the typical theme; LOVE.

God! They're just too entertaining.and don't forget this one tiny little tidbit. You are also the actor.

or maybe in my case... actress. lol~

`````````````````````````````````````````````

Okay, I'm actually not here to do some critics on dramas. lol~

Today, I'm gonna put up the new recipe that I tried.

Pasta Al'olio. Yeah. It's because I watched 'Pasta' so I thought I'd give it a shot though spaghetti related thingy is not really my cup of tea.
Well, It's still a good practice for my soon-to-be-maybe-non-existent-green-eyed husband. ^^

Pasta Al'olio is the easiest and the most basic pasta. Someone who can't cook can give this one a try because it's just too easy.

So, here's the ingredients;
1 pound pasta (about 450 grams)
Salt
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
4-6 garlic cloves, peeled & chopped
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
Freshly ground pepper

Before we get to cooking, I should explain a little bit on the ingredients.
  • For the pasta used, you can just buy the dry factory-made spaghetti. Other types of pasta is not really suitable for this recipe.
  • Use Extra Virgin Olive oil. Now, there is many differences between extra virgin olive oil and the normal virgin olive oil. The former is a little bit expensive and I'm lucky that my mom actually used this oil for cooking.^^  The difference is that Extra Virgin is cold pressed (no use of heat or chemicals allowed) and it comes from the first pressing, and has a maximum Oleic Acid (bitterness) content of 1%. Virgin olive oil on the other hand comes from the 2nd or 3rd pressing with a maximum Oleic Acid content of 4%. Anyway, it depends on you though. You can use the Virgin olive oil if you want. I don't bite. ^^
  • I'm actually spending almost an hour understanding the parsley leaves. Basically in Malay it is called 'Daun sup'. It is different from celery though. So, keep in ur mind that 'Daun sup' and celery is a different thing. Parsley smells and tastes about the same with Malay's 'Daun sup'. 
Now, let's get back to the cooking.

First, boil the water to cook the spaghetti. add some salt (about 1tbsp per pound) then add the spaghetti.
Use wooden spoon to bend the spaghetti slowly as it cooks. (Don't break the spaghetti!)
Stir it to prevent sticking.
Cook it for approximately 8-10 minutes but check it frequently until it is well cooked. As soon as the spaghetti cooked, drain it. (Don't OVER cook the spaghetti)
Heat the pan. Fry the garlic and oil over medium heat until the garlic turn pale gold.
Remove the pan from the heat and add 3/4 of the parsley, salt & pepper to taste.
Add in the spaghetti and mix them well. Toss the spaghetti so that it can mix well with the oil.
Make sure it is all coated and serve on plate. Use the remaining parsley to garnish.

*I consider my first attempt as a failure because the oil and the spaghetti were not mixed well causing them to play separately. You can see this when you served the pasta, the oil drained onto the plate causing the spaghetti to be a little bit dry. I figure out that this one is quite tricky. For the spaghetti to mix well with the oil, you need to toss them with constant speed and medium heat.

My second attempt, it turned out quite well. But I still have many things to improve


How is it?

It looks GOOD right? lol~ 
TRY IT!


 ~ciao~


No comments: