Monday, May 16, 2011

[Review] DGNA/The Boss/Daikoku Danji (First Japanese Album, Love Power)

Daikoku Danji : First Japanese Album, Love Power

Official Release : 13th April 2011

Reviewed by : aiLee (16th May 2011)

Dae Guk Nam Ah (DGNA) or The Boss is a Korean boy band debuted in 2010. Despite hearing many good comments about this group, surprisingly I never took any interest in them mainly because they’re being compared to TVXQ. I neither have anything against TVXQ nor these boys but to me, having your very own image is very important. Yes, you do have to look up to the sunbaes (seniors) but it is not necessary to be similar to them or else you’re gonna live in their shadows.

Their first song that I really listened to was from this Japanese album (Love Power) entitled “もう最後になると (It Will Be the Last)”. I like the way how the music blended with their voices really well. I guess the thing that attracts me the most was how their voices blended with each other really well. I’m quite satisfied with their live performance considering that they got quite a stable vocal throughout the whole performance proved their ability to be a singer despite their young age.

I won’t compare them with other groups but truthfully, for a newbie, they deserved recognition. The fact that not much idol groups nowadays have the real ability to perform live is what made them differ in my eyes.
In this album, 4 songs are released including an instrumental for Love Power. Love Power, 奪いたい今すぐに (I want to steal you right now), もう最後になると (It Will Be the Last), and まだ見ぬその未来へ (To the Unseen Future) are the songs titles in this album.

Going through one by one starting from “Love Power”, this song is a song about the power of love itself that could make one person change. I find the lyrics quite funny and how it depicted the real situation when someone fell in love. This cheerful song with a very cheerful MV has a different feel from the usual “happy” styles depicted by most idol groups nowadays.

I would say 奪いたい今すぐに or in English I want to steal you right now, is rather a sad song. Usually, lyrics like this made me feel like the song is pathetic but this one brought a different feel I guess. Rather than feeling like the person is pathetic, I feel sympathy towards that person. After all, a one-sided love is the most painful out of all. Isn’t it?

まだ見ぬその未来へ or To the Unseen Future is my favorite one from this album. This song is an inspiring song giving one a feeling of forgetting yesterday and continues to look forward. I think I’ll post up a different post about this song later (if I have enough time).


I think out of 4 songs, 2 of them are rather sad. Anyway, this group’s average age is 19.4. Beginning their career at such a young age, I think with proper promotions and songs, they’ll be able to reach to the top soon and maybe even surpassing TVXQ’s success.

And I think the stylists should give them a different style. Watching Karam feels exactly like watching the young “Kim Jaejoong”. I think it’s mostly due to his hair and the way he sings onstage. It exactly the same. But seeing his face up- close, I think this guy has his own charm.

He's different from Jaejoong though. Looking at his pic here reminds me of Taemin from SHINee. Somehow his face give that vibe.

 Together with TVXQ. This one is backstage during TVXQ performance "Keep Your Head Down"

I guess people should really stop comparing them.

To the fans, support them just the way they are and don’t forget to be nice towards other fanclubs too! ^^